Top 5 Things to Do in the Preserves This Week March 10, 2017
1. Meet nature’s cleanup crew. Celebrate the spring return of nature’s cleanup crew at Buzzards Day on Saturday, March 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Willowbrook Wildlife Center in Glen Ellyn. Learn about our native turkey vultures and other birds of prey, join fun activities, and meet some of the center’s resident birds face-to-face. The free program is for all ages and registration is not required. Questions? Call 630-942-6200.
2. Explore Your Tackle Box. Bring your tackle box and learn how to use what’s inside at Fishing: Explore Your Tackle Box on Saturday, March 11 from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oak Brook. See how lures look to fish and get your questions answered. This free program is for ages 12 and up (under 18 with an adult). Register online or at 630-933-7248.
3. Witness the sky dance of the woodcock. Witness firsthand one of nature’s most fascinating courtship displays — the “sky dance” of the woodcock — on a Woodcock Walk on Thursday, March 16 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Greene Valley Forest Preserve in Naperville. The program costs $5 per person and is for ages 12 and up (under 18 with an adult). Register online or at 630-850-8110.
4. Bake delicious bread. Learn how to bake bread the 1890s way in a wood-burning oven, and take home a pan of rolls with instructions and recipes at Bread-Baking Class on Saturday, March 18 at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at Kline Creek Farm in West Chicago. The program costs $40 per person and is for ages 12 and up (under 18 with an adult). Register online or at 630-876-5900.
5. Get Sticky with maple syrup. Find out where maple syrup comes from at Get Sticky! Maple Syrup Day on Saturday, March 18 at Fullersburg Woods in Oak Brook. Take a 75-minute guided tour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and enjoy samples along the way. The all-ages program costs $10 per person. Register online or at 630-850-8110.
Nurture nature by helping at one of these upcoming Volunteer Restoration Workdays. Help remove nonnative plants or spread seeds. For ages 8 and up; under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Register at (630) 206-9630 at least five business days prior (10 days for groups of five or more). Read this blog by volunteer Jason Halm about the joys of volunteering.
More volunteer opportunities